American Family Car Insurance Review American Family offers competitive prices and a wide range of optional car insurance coverage, including accident forgiveness, gap insurance, and a deductible that decreases over time. Additionally, it has a minimal number of complaints, making it a good choice for those in search of an auto insurance policy. Thinking about switching car insurance companies? Look no further than American Family Car Insurance. With their comprehensive coverage options, excellent customer service, and competitive rates, they are a top choice for many drivers.
In this review, we’ll take an in-depth look at American Family Car Insurance and why it may be the perfect fit for you. From their discounts and benefits to their claims process and financial stability, we’ll cover all the important details so you can make an informed decision. Don’t settle for less when it comes to protecting your vehicle and your peace of mind. Read on to see why American Family Car Insurance is a standout option.
American Family Car Insurance Review 2024
American Family Car Insurance is a reputable insurance provider that offers a range of coverage options for drivers. In this 2024 review, we will take a closer look at the company’s offerings and see how they stack up against the competition. American Family Car Insurance is known for its reliable customer service and quick claims processing. With competitive rates and a variety of discounts available, it’s no wonder why many drivers choose American Family for their car insurance needs.
However, it’s important to note that each individual’s experience may vary, so it’s always a good idea to compare quotes from multiple providers before making your final decision. We give American Family Insurance a rating of 9.1 out of 10.0. The company’s overall rating was aggregated from American Family’s performance in five critical areas — cost, coverage, reputation, availability and customer experience.
American Family Insurance Rating
American Family Car Insurance Pros And Cons
American Family Car Insurance is a popular choice among drivers for several reasons. One of the main pros of American Family Car Insurance is its comprehensive coverage options. Whether you’re looking for basic liability coverage or full coverage that includes collision and comprehensive, American Family has a variety of options to suit your needs. Another advantage of American Family is its excellent customer service. The company is known for its responsive and helpful agents who are available to assist with any questions or concerns. Additionally, American Family offers competitive rates and discounts, making it an affordable option for many drivers. Overall, American Family Car Insurance is a reliable choice that provides quality coverage and peace of mind on the road.
- Costs are on the cheaper side for most drivers, from those with a good driving record to those with an accident, DUI or speeding ticket.
- Offers a usage-based insurance program (KnowYourDrive) for good drivers who want to try to reduce their auto insurance costs based on driving habits.
- Lyft and Uber drivers can get rideshare insurance from American Family.
- Provides non-owner insurance and SR-22 insurance to those in need.
- Received only an average score of a C+ on its collision repair process by collision repair professionals.
- American Family auto insurance is available in only 19 states.
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Good Drivers
For good drivers, American Family offers car insurance prices that are both reasonable and competitive. According to our analysis of various car insurance companies, their national average cost is slightly below the industry average of $2,026 per year. It’s important to note that insurance rates can vary based on several factors such as location, age, driving history, and type of vehicle. Therefore, it is always advisable to compare quotes from multiple insurers to find the best coverage at the most affordable price. Additionally, American Family offers various discounts such as safe driver discounts and multi-policy discounts that can further reduce the cost of car insurance for eligible policyholders.
|National average annual cost for good drivers
Is American Family Insurance Good?
When it comes to car insurance, American Family Insurance has received positive reviews from customers. Many policyholders appreciate the company’s excellent customer service and competitive rates. American Family also offers a wide range of coverage options, allowing customers to customize their policies to meet their specific needs. Additionally, the claims process is often praised for being efficient and hassle-free. While no insurance company is perfect and experiences may vary, American Family Insurance has built a reputation for providing reliable coverage and exceptional service to its customers.
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Drivers With a Speeding Ticket
American Family offers rates that are approximately average for drivers who have received a speeding ticket. It is advisable to compare car insurance quotes if you have one or two tickets on your record, as there is a wide range of rates offered by different auto insurance companies.
|National average annual cost for drivers with a speeding ticket
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Drivers Who Caused an Accident With Injury
American Family auto insurance rates are particularly affordable for drivers who have caused an accident resulting in injury to someone else. These rates are more than $700 less than the national average of $3,009 per year, making American Family a great option for those looking for cost-effective coverage. It is essential to compare different insurance providers and their policies to determine which one best suits your needs and budget. Keep in mind that factors such as age, driving record, location, and vehicle type can all affect insurance rates.
|National average annual cost for drivers causing an accident with injury
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Drivers With a DUI
American Family has relatively reasonable car insurance rates for drivers with a DUI conviction. Its average cost for drivers with a DUI is nearly $950 below the national average of $3,363 per year among the companies we analyzed.
National average annual cost for drivers with a DUI conviction
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Drivers With Poor Credit
American Family offers excellent rates for drivers with poor credit. Its average cost is over $1,000 below the national average of $3,847 per year, among the insurers we evaluated.
All states except California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and Michigan allow car insurance companies to use a credit when calculating rates. Insurance companies say that a person’s credit correlates with the chances the person will make a future insurance claim. This correlation leads to higher auto insurance rates.
National average annual cost for drivers with poor credit
American Family Car Insurance Cost Comparison for Senior Drivers age 65 to 80
American Family car insurance costs for drivers ages 65 to 80 are average compared to top competitors. The national average is $2,150 a year, based on our analysis of large insurers.
|National average annual cost for senior drivers
Auto Insurance Complaints Against American Family
American Family receives fewer auto insurance complaints than many major insurers, according to complaints reported to state insurance departments nationwide. Their complaints are significantly lower than the industry average. The primary auto insurance complaints against American Family pertain to delays in claims, inadequate settlement offers, and the handling of claims by adjusters.
American Family’s Grade from Collision Repair Professionals: C+
According to a survey conducted by the CRASH Network, American Family received a C+ grade from collision repair professionals. The insights of auto body specialists are significant as they observe how insurers measure up in the utilization of high-quality repair parts, their support for recommended repair procedures by car manufacturers, and the efficiency of insurance companies’ claims processes in delivering prompt and satisfactory claims for policyholders.
Does American Family Offer Accident Forgiveness?
Certainly! American Family provides accident forgiveness, which is advantageous as it prevents your insurance rates from rising following an accident and allows you to retain a good driver discount. You have the option to purchase accident forgiveness coverage from American Family if you have not been involved in any at-fault accidents or violations in the past 12 months and have had no more than one at-fault accident in the last three years. Additionally, if you have not had any at-fault accidents in the last five years, American Family offers you accident forgiveness at no additional cost.
Does American Family Offer a Diminishing Deductible?
Consider American Family’s diminishing deductible feature if you are a safe driver. This add-on feature allows you to lower the deductible amount over time, starting with a $100 credit and reducing a $500 deductible to $400. Each claim-free year reduces the deductible by $100 until it reaches zero in the fifth year. If a claim is made and the deductible credit is used, it resets to year one with a $100 deduction. This feature is beneficial for reducing out-of-pocket expenses for claims over the years.
Does American Family Offer Gap Insurance?
Indeed, American Family provides gap insurance, which covers the disparity between the vehicle’s value at the time of total loss and the remaining loan or lease balance for drivers with car loans or leases. This type of coverage is particularly beneficial for individuals whose car debt exceeds the actual value of the vehicle.
Does American Family Offer New Car Replacement Insurance?
American Family provides new car replacement coverage as an add-on to your policy, exclusively for new vehicles. This coverage ensures that your new car will be replaced with the same make and model in the event of a total loss, and it expires after one year.
Does American Family Offer Rideshare Insurance?
American Family offers rideshare insurance, which can benefit Lyft and Uber drivers by bridging the coverage gap between their personal auto insurance and the insurance provided by the rideshare company. This insurance covers the time when the driver is logged into the rideshare company’s app and waiting for rider requests, providing the same coverage as their personal auto policies, including property damage and bodily injury liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, collision and comprehensive coverage, and personal injury protection.
Does American Family Insurance Offer SR-22s?
American Family provides SR-22 insurance, which is necessary for high-risk drivers like those with DUI convictions or multiple accidents. An SR-22 serves as evidence of car insurance coverage for the state, and the duration of required possession varies by state but is typically around three years.
Other Optional Coverage
- Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance: Pays for certain injuries (such as loss of limb) or death caused by an accident, such as a car crash.
- Commercial auto insurance: If you use your vehicle for business purposes, you typically require a commercial auto insurance policy to provide sufficient coverage. American Family provides additional features like insurance for loading/unloading and special equipment coverage.
- Emergency roadside assistance: If you can’t get to the repair shop, roadside assistance insurance includes towing, tire patching or changing, refueling, battery jumping, and up to one hour of mechanical labor at your breakdown location.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts coverage: If having OEM parts instead of aftermarket parts is important to you, this coverage pays for OEM parts if your vehicle needs to be repaired after a problem covered by your policy.
- Rental reimbursement: Rental reimbursement insurance covers the cost of a rental vehicle or alternative transportation when your vehicle is inoperable due to a covered issue. Alternative transportation options may include taxis, city buses, rideshare services, or commuter train fares.
- Travel Peace of Mind Package: Drivers who embark on road trips may find this set of coverage options beneficial. The bundle encompasses emergency roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, and accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Additionally, it provides coverage for meals, transportation, and hotel expenses, within specified limits, in the event of an accident that leaves the driver stranded far from home.
Does American Family Insurance Offer Usage-Based Auto Insurance?
American Family offers a usage-based auto insurance program called KnowYourDrive, which assesses and rates your driving behavior. By signing up and using the smartphone app, you can receive a 10% discount, and depending on your driving score, you may qualify for a discount of up to 20%. All drivers are eligible, and participation is optional. The app tracks various aspects of driving such as braking, speeding, hours driven, distractions, and trip duration. KnowYourDrive data will not be used to increase your rates, and you can choose to opt out if you do not perform well. Additionally, enrollment in the KnowYourDrive program includes the “Travel Peace of Mind Package.”
Does American Family Insurance Offer Pay-Per-Mile Insurance?
Indeed, American Family provides a usage-based insurance option known as MilesMyWay, which is exclusively accessible in Arizona and Oregon. Upon enrollment, customers receive a 5% discount, and their savings are determined by their mileage. This type of auto insurance plan is advantageous for individuals who do not drive regularly.
American Family Auto Insurance Discounts
American Family Insurance provides numerous discounts, particularly for drivers who demonstrate safe driving behaviors. If there is a young driver in your household, explore the discounts available for “young volunteers” and high-achieving students.
- Autopay discount: You qualify for a discount when you enroll in automatic payments or electronic recurring payments.
- Auto safety equipment discount: This is for vehicle features like factory-installed air bags and other safety features.
- Away at school discount: This discount is for parents of students under age 25, more than 100 miles away at school and their car is parked at home.
- Customer full pay discount: You can get a discount when you pay your premium in full when you sign up or renew your policy.
- Defensive driver discount: Make sure to get this discount if you are age 55 or older and have taken a defensive driving course.
- Early bird discount: If you’re with another insurance provider and get an auto insurance quote from American Family Insurance seven days before the policy goes into effect, you could get a discount.
- Generational discount: Ask about this if your mom or dad is an American Family Insurance customer.
- Good driving discount: If you’ve maintained a clean driving record with no traffic violations, accidents or claims, you could receive a discount.
- Good student discount: Ask for this if your student driver gets good grades.
- Low mileage discount: Car owners who drive less than 7,500 miles per year may be eligible for savings.
- Loyalty discount: Customers insured by American Family for a certain number of years may receive a price break.
- Multi-policy discount: You can receive a discount if you buy more than one type of policy with American Family. For instance, if you get both home and auto insurance policies. You can also bundle auto insurance with renters or even a life insurance policy.
- Multi-vehicle discount: You could qualify for a reduced rate if you insure two or more vehicles on the same policy.
- Paperless discount: Simply switch to online billing and electronic policy documents.
- Steer into savings discount: Look for this discount if you switch to American Family Insurance after having a policy with a competitor.
- TeenSafeDriver discount: This program offers auto insurance discounts for teens who practice safe driving habits.
- Young volunteer discount: Does your teen love giving back? If so, you could save money if they are under age 25 and complete 40 hours of volunteer work per year for a non-profit.
J.D. Power Ratings of American Family Car Insurance
J.D. Power, a market research firm, conducts surveys with consumers to assess the performance of auto insurance companies across various areas. The 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study evaluates customer satisfaction and examines five key factors: billing process and policy information, claims, interaction, policy offerings, and price. The study covers car insurance companies in 11 U.S. regions, including California, Florida, New York, and Texas.
American Family achieved the second highest ranking for auto insurance in the Central region with a score of 837 out of 1,000, as well as in the Southwest region with a score of 828. Additionally, Connect by American Family secured the second position in California with a score of 839.
In the 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, consumers who had recently settled auto insurance claims were surveyed to gauge their perceptions of the claims process. American Family achieved ninth place with a score of 882 out of 1,000, while Amica secured the top spot with a score of 909. In the 2023 J.D. Power U.S. Insurance Shopping Study, American Family was ranked the fourth highest among midsize auto insurers, scoring 867 out of 1,000.
More Insurance from American Family
American Family provides commercial and business insurance for all types of business owners. American Family Insurance also provides travel insurance for those wishing to explore the world.
American Family also sells:
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Manufactured home insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Life insurance
- Pet insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Health insurance
- Farm and ranch insurance
American Family Insurance Mobile Apps
American Family Insurance provides the MyAmFam app in addition to the KnowYourDrive app, which assists customers in managing their insurance policies. The MyAmFam app includes various features such as:
- Request roadside assistance
- Review and manage your insurance policies
- Schedule payments and set up autopay
- Track claim status
- View ID (proof of insurance) cards
To monitor their driving habits, your teenage driver has the option to download the TeenSafeDriver app. This app is designed to assist teenagers in enhancing their driving skills by monitoring and evaluating each drive to identify areas for improvement. It is capable of detecting behaviors such as distracted driving, excessive speed, and aggressive braking. Furthermore, the app enables parents to track their teen’s whereabouts.
Upon completing 3,000 miles or participating in the program for one year, a 10% discount is applied to the auto insurance policy. Regardless of the teen’s driving score, the insurance rates will not increase. American Family will automatically maintain the discount until the teen reaches 21 years of age unless certain conditions are met.
- A combination of a minor violation and an at-fault accident
- A major violation or multiple minor violations
- Multiple at-fault accidents
A Brief History of American Family Insurance
Salesman Herman Wittwer founded American Family Insurance in 1927 as Farmers Mutual Automobile Insurance Co., focusing initially on providing auto insurance to farmers. The company later broadened its product and service offerings to serve a wider range of customers, prompting a name change to American Family Insurance in 1963.
What States Does American Family Car Insurance Operate In?
American Family auto insurance is available in 19 states:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
The rates are calculated for a female driver who is 40 years old and has a clean record. The insurance is for a new Toyota RAV4 with coverage of $100,000 for bodily injury liability per person, $300,000 per accident, and $100,000 for property damage liability (referred to as 100/300/100). Additionally, it includes uninsured motorist coverage and any other coverage mandated by the state, unless specified otherwise. The rates also cover collision and comprehensive insurance with a deductible of $500.
American Family Car Insurance Reviews. We give American Family Insurance a rating of 9.1 out of 10.0. The company’s overall rating was aggregated from American Family’s performance in five critical areas — cost, coverage, reputation, availability and customer experience. American Family Car Insurance is a reputable insurance provider that offers comprehensive coverage and excellent customer service. With their wide range of policy options and competitive rates, they are a popular choice for many drivers. Whether you’re looking for basic coverage or want to add on additional benefits, American Family has options to suit your needs. Their commitment to customer satisfaction and prompt claims handling sets them apart from other insurance companies. If you’re in the market for car insurance, consider American Family for reliable coverage and peace of mind on the road.
How does American Family Insurance rate as an insurance company?
American Family Insurance holds an A rating for financial strength from AM Best. The company also receives an A rating from the BBB. Our review team has given American Family Insurance a rating of 9.1 out of 10.0 overall.
Is American Family Insurance a big company?
According to the J.D. Power 2024 Insurance Study, American Family Insurance is considered a midsize insurance company. The provider only offers its services in 19 states, while large providers tend to service the entire nation.
Is Geico cheaper than American Family Insurance?
Yes, cost estimates show that Geico is usually cheaper than American Family Insurance. The average married 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and a good credit score would typically pay around $1,596 per year for a full-coverage car insurance policy from Geico, while American Family car insurance would cost an average of $1,851 annually.
Is American Family Insurance more expensive than other providers?
American Family Insurance (AmFam) is less expensive on average than other providers like Progressive, Allstate and Travelers. AmFam’s national average of $1,851 is roughly 8% cheaper than the national average of $2,008, as well. However, compared to Geico, State Farm and USAA’s average rates, AmFam is more expensive.
How big is American family insurance?
|$455 million USD (2019)
|$31.1 billion USD (2019)
|Number of employees
Who owns American Family Insurance?
AmFam Holdings, Inc.
How old is American Family Insurance?
American Family has been serving customers since 1927. Our mission is to inspire, protect, and restore dreams through our insurance products, exceptional service from our agency owners and employees, community investment and creative partnerships to address societal challenges.